The Annual Meeting of UU Congregations of the Metro New York District is coming up on Friday and Saturday, May 1-2, at the Hyatt Morristown in Morristown, NJ. Please plan to attend!
Every year I enjoy meeting with my minister and religious educator colleagues Thursday evening through Friday afternoon and then joining hundreds of members of UU congregations at the District Annual Meeting that begins on Friday (registration at 4:00, Ingathering at 7:00). Childcare is available for children age 4 and under and programming 5-12 year-olds. You can afford it! Rooms at the Hyatt are discounted (and reasonable, especially with multiple occupants), registration fees are sliding scale ($59- $139 for adults and $59 for youth) and scholarships are available (). I can offer financial help also with Minister’s Discretionary Funds for those who could not attend otherwise (just ask!).
This year, there is a special reason for attending: your Minister (and her congregation by association!) is receiving one of the named awards, the June Z. Gillespie Award. This award, named to honor a former District UUA Trustee and District President, recognizes an individual who has encouraged congregational participation in denominational affairs at the District or national level. I literally couldn’t have done it without you! Please come celebrate with me!
Here’s the math behind the decision:
- 10 of us attended the UU-UNO Spring Seminar in April 2014 (including our youth and adult envoys) and in June we got our second Blue Ribbon Congregation Award for support of our office at the United Nations.
- 45 people (20% of the voting membership) attended the 2014 Providence General Assembly.
- Nearly 100 of us joined the People’s Climate March in September.
- 20 UUFSBers marched in the Million Person March and other marches in the aftermath of Ferguson.
- Laura Lesch (1) is our Denominational Affairs representative. We collect on Sunday mornings for the UU-UNO and Standing on the Side of Love and the UU Service Committee.
- 3 UUFSBers serve on the UU Trauma Response Ministry Team (Margie, Linda A. and Gretta) and
- Linda A. (1) is also president of the St. Lawrence Foundation.
- 2 members serve on the Board of the Long Island UU Fund of the Long Island Community Foundation (Cindy Stewart and Linda Pfeiffer)
- Linda Pfeiffer (1) administrates the UU Student Activities Fund (in which a number of our youth participate annually);
- About 10 members of this congregation participate annually in the annual LI Area Council (LIAC) Spring Dinner.
- Gretta (1) is president of the District Liberal Religious Educator’s Assoc. Chapter and on the LIAC Board.
- Rich Hall (1) is Chair of the LI Leadership Institute. Frances McGuire and I (2) are the co-chairs of the Long Island Ministerial Leave Program
- I (1) am a member of the Metro NY District Board.
That’s total of 198 for 2014-15! Come stand with me as I receive the award!
Click here for more information. You’ll enjoy also music, the keynote address (The Rev. Scott Tayler, UUA Director of Congregational Life), three sets of workshops, a sumptuous lunch (and snacks!), and a UU Network Mall for all your gift and growth needs! Come celebrate our amazingness in the company of our District UU neighbors.
I’ll see you there,