Religious Educator – Part-time
Unitarian Universalist Congregation of the South Fork
977 Bridgehampton-Sag Harbor Turnpike, Bridgehampton, NY 11932
We are looking for a dynamic individual to provide a foundation for our children’s Religious Education program. This person will inspire and engage children in the classroom and outside in nature as they explore a Unitarian Universalist curriculum. On occasion the children’s class will join with the adults for multigenerational experiences that may be facilitated in part by the Religious Educator. The position will report to the Minister, Alison Cornish, and the two Religious Education Co-Chairs. A background in Unitarian Universalism is a plus, but at a minimum the successful candidate will have an affinity with UU values. We will need strong references, a history of successful work with children, and an ability to communicate with the minister, volunteers, and RE Co-chairs in a timely manner. As a small congregation the UUCSF would like to welcome new children into our religious education program with the help of the Religious Educator. This position will be filled from outside the congregation per the Board’s direction.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
- Teach every Sunday with the exception of intergenerational worship services which are approximately once a month.
- Prepare lesson plan and arrange materials prior to class time.
- Recruit one volunteer from the congregation to help each Sunday.
- Communicate with parents about their children and the program.
- Write a brief article about Religious Exploration each month for the newsletter.
- Work with the Minister, and RE Co-chairs to select, implement and evaluate the curriculum.
- Communicate regularly with the Religious Exploration Chairs.
- Help create a children’s holiday program, typically, with a short intergenerational drama
Salary: $100/week which is based on 2 hours Sunday mornings and 2 hours of prep time.
Contact Sue Penny at 631-725-6435.
Membership Coordinator, All Souls Unitarian Church, New York
About All Souls: All Souls Unitarian Church, established in 1819, is a self-governing community of approximately 1500 people who come together to worship, serve the community, and create an enriching, non-dogmatic religious environment. All Souls is proud of its many social outreach programs. These include feeding the hungry at the Monday Night Hospitality Program and the Friday Lunch Program, sponsoring Girl Scout and Navigator troops, and others. All Souls is an accessible congregation dedicated to providing an environment in which all people feel welcome regardless of race, sexual orientation or physical ability.
Additional information about All Souls: Please visit us at www.allsoulsnyc.org to learn more.
Purpose: The All Souls Membership Coordinator will be responsible for creating a vibrant, dedicated membership that feels welcome and included in the church and its activities. This is a Sunday through Thursday position. Reports to the Executive Director.
- Serves as a welcoming presence and models and encourages a culture of welcoming among the church membership;
- Participates in the life of the church by attending church and coffee hour on Sundays; coordinates and attends membership ceremonies and new member receptions; participates in welcome workshops for visitors exploring membership; welcomes and talks to visitors and members; attends other events on an as needed basis;
- Reaches out to visitors and members, acts as a face of the church and an early friend to visitors and new members;
- Identify and connect with visitors who are interested in learning about membership and plan Welcome Workshops and meetings with the minister and executive director for them;
- Discerns the needs and talents of individual members to guide them toward appropriate church activities; helps members recognize their passions, talents, and leadership qualities to encourage them to develop their volunteerism within the church;
- Works with church staff, committees, and social groups to identify, expand, and promote opportunities and programs for member involvement; maintains lists of committee and group leaders, maintains board and board committee lists;
- Maintains and updates church database to record information on members’ needs, talents, gifts and interests; develops process to track newcomers and workshop attendees;
- Writes periodically for monthly bulletin and website to promote activities, recognize volunteers, encourage culture of welcoming, and increase visibility of members;
- Develops and expands programs that welcome members and increase connections with the church community;
- Works with Hospitality Council on hospitality practices and initiatives, including developing and implementing a tracking system to evaluate path to membership and how well new members become integrated within the church community;
- Sustains and grows mentoring program to help new members get to know experienced members;
- Implements and coordinates regular recognition of volunteers;
- Provides support to Annual Giving campaign;
- Works with ministers and provides administrative support to them on issues relating to pastoral and program needs;
- Provides administrative support to Executive Director;
- Works with Communications Director to help create materials for pamphlet racks, bulletin boards, Welcome Table, and website;
- Meets regularly with Executive Director; meets with ministers as needed, and attends staff meetings.
Qualifications and Required Proficiencies:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience in volunteer management, particularly experience working within or volunteering in a church community, preferred
- Familiarity with Unitarian Universalism preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills including: approachability and personal warmth, ability to nurture volunteers, tact and good judgment, ability to listen compassionately;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking skills
- Highly organized
- Competency with computer programs: MS Office, membership database software (Raisers’ Edge); Excel, Adobe.
- Office skills: mass mailings, email lists, proofreading;
- Must be able to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
How to Apply: Interested applicants should submit thoughtful cover letter stating reasons for interest in position and qualifications, as well as resume to:
Subject line: Membership Coordinator
All Souls is committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage candidates from all groups and communities to apply.
Only applicants selected for interview will be notified.
No phone calls, please.